Well, we arrived safely and more or less uneventfully. Total travel time from our home to BEN!‘s mom’s house was about 26 hours. That, my friends, is a long time.
* Upon arriving in Auckland, we were fumigated. In order to protect their beautiful island country, they apparently needed to rid plane and people of any harmful pests. So several flight attendants walked down the aisles with spray cans…they sprayed directly into the overhead bins and we were all coated in a soft, aromatic mist. Then we sat (while all of the small children and babies began coughing) and waited. Once we were pest-free (?) we were released to customs.
* One of the first signs we saw in the Auckland airport were posted on garbage cans (rubbish bins, for my Southern Hemispherian friends). And they read: No spitting. Please use the toilet. Okay then…
* Walking down toward customs were greeted by a beautiful Hobbit mural, welcoming us.
* In customs, Adalia had to removed her hiking boots (from her luggage) to have them inspected for….dirt. Don’t you be trying to bring any dirty boots into New Zealand.
* It really is as beautiful here as BEN! said it was. Really.
* We watched the Hobbit last night. I might have fallen asleep five minutes in. But in my defense, we had traveled for 26 hours and then only had about 3-4 hours of sleep…then took an hour long walk around a beautiful lake, then come home for a swim. I was tired.
* Tonight we are going to see Catching Fire…at a theater that serves dinner!
Okay, I am off my friends. I hope you are having a fabulous holiday season!