Well, my mom has been complaining that I haven’t updated the blog about our decision to head to Texas, so here it goes.
For a variety of reasons, we have decided to have Apollo evaluated down at Texas Children’s Hospital. Apollo has an Upper GI and CT scan scheduled in Texas for October 24th and we will meet with the surgeon on October 25. We are heading to Texas not knowing if he will ultimately have surgery there. We are leaving ourselves an out and not committed to treatment in Texas if we don’t feel 100% comfortable with the situation. We do have the fallback option of having his surgery re-done here in Seattle if we choose.
The day after we booked our tickets, I received an encouraging email from Apollo’s pulmonologist saying he thought it was great that we’re headed to Texas and he hopes Apollo “comes back a whole new kid (and symptom free)”. I’ve all but given up hope that he will ever be “symptom free” but am thrilled that his pulmonologist was so encouraging.
Apollo’s stridor is back in full-force. Easily as bad as it was last year. He chokes and vomits nearly every day now (usually just once a day). It’s pretty clear to us that he’s getting worse.
We will be taking Tilly with us when we head down. We’ll need her to help with Apollo while we hash things out with the surgeon. If Apollo does have surgery in Texas, Chuck will fly home once he’s stable and out of the cardiac ICU. Tilly will stay to help me until Apollo is cleared to fly home. Thanks to our computer-based schooling this year, she will be able to keep up while we’re gone.
The decision to take Tilly was an easy one. Adalia is attending the Community College and Judah isn’t much help with Apollo (I don’t mean this in a negative way, they just have a different relationship). It was a toss-up between Tilly and Enoch, but then I saw there are restrictions at the hospital for kids under fourteen, which made Tilly just the right age to bring along.
So that’s the plan. We are hoping to be able to stay at the Ronald McDonald House, but won’t know that until we get there.
I will be trying to update as much as I can while we are in Texas, though I don’t know how often that will be. I’ll be taking my camera, but won’t be able to upload those photos until we’re home. If you want to keep up on us during our journey, check out our Facebook page, A Baker’s Dozen and Apollo XIV or follow me on Instagram (username: littleearthling).
If you are a blogger and interested in submitting a guest post for me to publish while I’m gone, send me an email.